Welcome to Mathematics Blog!

It's all about Mathematics!

Your Comment, Please!

Google Search

15 April 2009

Solving Linear Equation

"Linear" equations are equations with just a plain old variable like "x", rather than something more complicated like or or square roots or such. Linear equations are the simplest equations that you'll deal with. You've probably already solved linear equations; you just didn't know it.
In general, to solve an equation for a given variable, you need to "undo" whatever has been done to the variable. You do this in order to get the variable by itself; in technical terms, you are "isolating" the variable. This results in "(variable) equals (some number)", where (some number) is the answer they're looking for. For instance:
Solve


I want to get the x by itself; that is, I want to get "x" on one side of the "equals" sign, and some number on the other side. Since I want just x on the one side, this means that I don't like the "plus six" that's currently on the same side as the x. Since the 6 is added to the x, I need to subtract to get rid of it. That is, I will need to subtract a 6 from the x in order to "undo" having added a 6 to it. Here the mathematical way




Then the solution is -9

Go to the next example.

Solve



It's easy to solve it. Check it out





The idea is we add both sides by the same number, it is -5, then we get, y=-2. So the solution is y=-2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey thеrе! Thіs is kіnd of off toρic but
I nеeԁ some adνice from an established blοg.
Is it tough tο set uр your own blog?

I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about
making my oωn but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions? With thanks

Here is my web-site - rhinoplasty surgery